Warrington History and Amenities
Warrington Township was founded in October 1734, and is named after a town in Cheshire, England. The early township consisted of four villages: Warrington, Neshaminy, Tradesville, and Pleasantville. Warrington was located at the intersection of Bristol Road and the Doylestown–Willow Grove Turnpike, now known as Easton Road (PA Route 611).
Neshaminy, originally known as Warrington Square, was centered at Street Road and the Turnpike (611), but became known as Neshaminy because of its proximity to the Little Neshaminy Creek. The Village of Tradesville was near Lower State Road and was originally known as Stuckert’s Corner because of a store operated by a man named Stuckert.
The Village of Pleasantville (or Eureka) was located near Lower State Road and County Line Road. It was the location of the first church in the township, The Reformed Church of Pleasantville, founded in 1840.
In 2010, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries proposed to build the largest warehouse facility in Pennsylvania near residential neighborhoods in Warrington, leading to vocal community opposition. Teva eventually chose a less controversial site elsewhere.
One of the more visible historic buildings in Warrington Township is the Irwin House located on Easton Road at the end of Shetland Drive next to the Township Building. The building is owned by Randolph A. Scott, Esquire, who uses it as a law office. He said the building was, “run down and in need of extensive repair” when he purchased it in 1980. Those repairs have been made and the building now presents an appearance, which is pleasing to the eye.
The Nathaniel Irwin House, as it is now known, stands on the property purchased by Daniel Pritchard from Thomas and Richard Penn in February 1734. The property passed into the hands of Robert Tompkins in 1736. Tompkins constructed a dwelling on the site, and in later documents it was identified as “Mansion-House” suggesting that it was substantial. Tompkins was constable of Warrington Township in 1738. John Campbell, a Philadelphia merchant, bought the property in 1777 and rented it to Nathaniel Irwin, who was a minister of the Neshaminy Presbyterian Church in Warwick. Irwin bought the house from Campbell in 1785.
Irwin demolished the original house and built a new house in 1809. There is evidence that supports that the foundation of the house dates back to 1734.
He sold the property in 1823 and it went through a series of owners until 1865. During the years of 1851-1855, the house was owned by residents of Philadelphia as a summer residence. In 1865, Richard J. Dobbins purchased the property to remain in his family’s possession until 1939.
Scott’s property was recognized by the Board of Supervisors and the Historic Commission as a historic site last September.
Anyone having a question about the historic recognition program should contact the Township Office.
— Thomas Mackin, Chairman Township Historic Commission